Kindling a Flame, Drawing Water: Imbolc is Coming

Lately, my journal time has been split between cataloging and recording my regular practice for Liturgy Practicum 1, Divination, and Trance, so I've not had much time to write anything here.

Imbolc is coming; the celebration of the earth waking back up, the beginning of the end of winter, and the re-emergence of fire within us. For so long, I had not been able to connect with this season as being anything specific. I don't raise sheep, as nifty as sheep are, so I have no idea if they would start producing milk during this time in my particular region. Because we're a tad farther south than Ireland, we have to adjust the markers of spring during this time. What DOES happen (that I've noticed over the years) is the snowdrops and crocuses begin to show themselves, creativity begins to spring forth from people, and they become more communicative and verbose. It is almost as if the waking earth has begun to stir the spirit of the people also, so that they can go forth and create the stories they will be telling when winter rolls around again.

For many years, I had not felt a connection with Brighid, and was only able to offer things out of respect to honor her but I had not forged a relationship. Many people seemed to believe that being an artist, surely I must have some connection with Her whether I knew it or not. From my perspective, it almost felt as though it were a challenge put forth by the Goddess to continue to make creative offerings to her so that by pushing myself to express my creativity she could show me what I was capable of. It was hard work, and super frustrating at times. I have yet to fully bring her vision to life in the form of a painting that she wants, and I have been making baby steps in practicing the violin, but I really need to be taught in that department I think.

Then one year, our relationship changed, because Brighid showed me something I would never forget when I was performing as Seer for our Imbolc Rite a couple years ago. I read hot wax dropped in water, and was hit with a vision so incredibly detailed and clear that there was no mistaking the message. It was an image of a child in the womb, floating above the sea amidst stars, near a seashore, with the sun beginning to rise. The overwhelming message I received was to TRUST her, so clear even that I thought I could even hear a woman's voice saying it. The Gods would always be there for us. I can still see it, and I recall it whenever I think of Imbolc. We are born from water and fire, we are shaped by it, and we return to it to be healed. Imbolc has now become about the relationship of Fire and Water for me; Fire of Creation, Waters of Healing, and a strong message of rebirth and going within to bring forth our shining light.

This year, I will be inviting Airmed as a primary Deity, representing the healing herbs she grew with her tears upon the grave of her brother. What a powerful Goddess! She holds knowledge of the healing properties of all the herbs, one for each part of the body, and also the healing of the WHOLE body and spirit, and was even capable of resurrecting warriors (she and her father Dian Cecht preside over the Well of Slaine, where the 365 herbs that grew on her brother's grave were tossed). She knew the words of power, she knew the herbs of healing, and could call spirits BACK to their bodies. While Boann may have undergone a shamanic death experience, Airmed herself appears to have been skilled from birth, a force that drew back the veil between life and death. Why she had been spared the fate of her brother by her father's hand is unclear, and something I had always wondered about. It is interesting to note that a manuscript exists that is attributed to Dian Cecht regarding the 12 "Windows" or "Portals" to the soul, which sound much like the 3 Inner Cauldrons spoken of by Amergin. As a reiki practitioner, I do wonder if this would be useful information for Energy work or Shamanic Soul Work. It doesn't appear to be well known. From Mary Jones: http://www.maryjones.us/jce/diancecht.html

"There are twelve doors of the soul in the human body: (1) the top of the head, i.e. the crown or the suture, (2) the hollow of the occiput, (3) the hollow of the temple, (4) the apple of the throat, (5) the spoon of the breast, (6) the armpit, (7) the breast-bone, (8) the navel, (9) the side {?}, (10) the bend of the elbow, (11) the hollow of the ham, i.e. from behind, (12) the bulge of the groin, i.e. the bull sinew, (13) the sole of the foot."

With the focus of this Rite being on Healing for the Community, I will bear this in mind going forward.

I felt it appropriate to write a song for her for Imbolc for her invocation, as words of healing and intend to share it here when I have completed it. For right now, I turn to one of the people I respect muchly in matters of Irish Spirituality, Erynn Rowan Laurie, whose work has inspired me in many ways over the years. She wrote a little about Airmed some years back: http://www.seanet.com/~inisglas/airmid.html

I think I may try to use that folk incancation for Reiki healing also, just to see how it goes, for there is power in words and especially folk magic.

Stay tuned for more on Airmed, and enjoy this time leading up to Imbolc.

Comments

  1. We provides you one of the best career counsellor in Janakpuri, Delhi, education counsellor in Noida also allover in India. Education counsellor in janakpuri
    http://suvidhaedu.com/courses-search/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts